Private, 50th Btn., Canadian Infantry (Alberta
Service Number: 2356038
who died on
Saturday 9 November 1918 .
Son of Robert and Sarah Jane Light Lauthers, of U.S.A.
Abbeville Communal Cemetery Extension, Somme, France
Grave or Reference Panel Number:
V. B. 23.
The town of Abbeville is on the main road from
Paris to Boulogne (N1), about 80 kilometres south of Boulogne.
The communal cemetery and communal cemetery extension are located
on the left
hand side of the road when leaving the town in a north-east direction
for Drucat. CWGC direction signs will be found within the cemetery.
Enter the Communal Cemetery by the left hand side main gate and
follow CWGC signs within the Cemetery. The extension may be entered
from the communal cemetery or from the side lane.
For much of the First World War, Abbeville was headquarters
of the Commonwealth lines of communication and No 3 BRCS, No
5 and No 2 Stationary Hospitals were stationed there variously
from October 1914 to January 1920. The communal cemetery was
used for burials from November 1914 to September 1916, the earliest
being made among the French military graves. The extension was
begun in September 1916. During the early part of the Second
World War, Abbeville was a major operational aerodrome, but the
town fell to the Germans at the end of May 1940. On 4 June, an
attempt was made by the 51st Division, in conjunction with the
French, to break the German bridgehead, but without success.
Towards the end of 1943, eight large ski shaped buildings
appeared near Abbeville. These proved to be storage units for
flying bomb components and they were heavily bombed by Commonwealth
air forces. Abbeville was retaken on 4 September 1944 by Canadian
and Polish units. Abbeville Communal Cemetery contains 774 Commonwealth
burials of First World War and 30 from the Second.
The Extension contains 1,754 First World War burials
and 348 from the Second. The Commonwealth sections of both cemetery
and extension were designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.
Commemorated on Page 446 of the First World War Book of Remembrance.The
Book of Remembrance is in the Memorial Chamber, which occupies
the second level of the Peace Tower in the Houses of Parliament,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.