Private, Royal Canadian Dragoons,
Service Number: 7784
who died on
Thursday, September 23, 1915
Son of Levi Houser, of 88, Huron St., Brantford, Ontario.
La Plus Douve Farm Cemetery, Belgium
II. C. 13.
La Plus Douve Farm Cemetery is located 10.5 Km south of Ieper
town centre on a road leading from the Rijselseweg N365, which
connects Ieper to Wijtschate and on to Armentieres.
From Ieper town centre the Rijselsestraat runs from the market
square, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort) and directly over
the crossroads with the Ieper ring road. The road name then changes
to the Rijselseweg.
On reaching the town of Mesen the first right hand turning leads
onto the Niewkerkestraat (N314). 2 Km along the Nieuwkerkestraat
lies the left hand turning onto Plus Douve. La Plus Douve Farm
Cemetery lies 600 metres along Plus Douve, on the right hand
side of the track.Visitors should note an 80 metre grassed access
path which is unsuitable for vehicles.
In the valley of the river Douve, north of Ploegsteert Wood,
were two farms. La Petite Douve was the object of a successful
raid by the 7th Canadian Infantry Battalion in November 1915
and La Plus Douve, which was generally within the Allied lines,
was used at times as a battalion headquarters. It was also known
as Ration Farm because battalion transport could approach it
at night with rations. La Plus Douve Farm Cemetery was begun
in April 1915 by the 48th (South Midland) Division and continued
in use until May 1918, when it fell into German hands.
The cemetery contains 336 Commonwealth burials of the First World
The cemetery was designed by Charles Holden.
Commemorated on Page 20 of the First World War Book of Remembrance.
The Book of Remembrance is in the Memorial Chamber, which occupies
the second level of the Peace Tower in the Houses of Parliament,