Private, 21st (Reserve) Bn. ., Canadian Infantry
(Alberta Regiment) ,
Service Number: 3209465
who died on
Monday, October 28, 1918
Son of Mr. Franklin and Mrs. Catharine Honsberger Fretz, of Didsbury,
Bramshott (St. Mary) Churchyard, Hampshire, United Kingdom
2 B 27
The church was built in AD 1220 to serve the community which
had grown up on the heathland to the south of Hindhead, around
a sandy track which was to become the London to Portsmouth road.
Later the development of the turnpike road and, more particularly,
the railway led to the daughter hamlet of Liphook outgrowing
its parent, and rather pushing Bramshott and its church to the
From the swing gate entrance in the south east corner of the
churchyard, one has the impression of a small, single-aisled
church capped by a low tower with a wooden steeple. Along the
south side, notice the priest's door which opens into the chancel.
Entering the building by the west door, it is surprising to find
a nave wide enough to have both north and south aisles, each
supported by substantial round pillars and graceful arches.
From the autumn of 1915, to October, 1919, a Canadian Training
Centre was placed in the open country on both sides of the Portsmouth
road, between the turnings to Grayshott and to Bramshott; and
the soldiers who died in No. 12 Canadian General Hospital, which
served the camp, were buried in Branshott Churchyard, or (in
the case of the Roman Catholic soldiers) in the Churchyard of
St. Joseph's Church, at the West end of Grayshott. The first
burials at Bramshott took place in Plot I, which is part of the
original Churchyard; but in time it became necessary to enlarge
the Churchyard, and an extension (Plots II and III) was formed.
The original Churchyard and the Eastern side of the extension
are bounded by a wall, and on the same side, between Plots II
and III, is the War Cross which was dedicated on Sunday 24th
No. of Identified Casualties: 349
Commemorated on Page 411 of the First World War Book of Remembrance.
The Book of Remembrance is in the Memorial Chamber, which occupies
the second level of the Peace Tower in the Houses of Parliament,